Search

A new Extension, “Vimeo Videos” is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

Vimeo Videos makes it easy to integrate Vimeo videos directly onto your Symphony site.

On several sites I poll Vimeo API feeds and cache meta information about videos into sections ((using this method)[http://nick-dunn.co.uk/article/archiving-xml-with-symphony/]). This isn't an integrated solution, so I've written this field to tighten things up.

Features

• Provides a "Vimeo Video" field to add to Sections (accepts either a Clip ID or URL):
    Field before input

• After input:
    Field after input

• Adds a "Vimeo Videos" page under the System menu to provide overview of all video across all sections, and to refresh play statistics:
    Videos page

• Updating of play statistics through the Vimeo API either manually through the Vimeo Videos page or after a configurable timeout on each field.

• Provides details meta information about each video in the Data Source XML:
    DS XML

Requirements

This extension has only been tested with Symphony 2.0.2 therefore I am treating this as its minimum requirement. If you're using 2.0.3+ be sure to tweak the JIT Image Manipulation extension to allow the thumbnails from Vimeo/Amazon.

Beta

This is very much an initial beta release. Things seem fairly stable, but the field has yet to see production use. I very much recommend extensive testing before using in a production environment, beyond personal tinkering.

To-do

• Improve validation of cache time when adding a field to a section
  • Allow negative or blank cache time to never/always expire
  • Provide embed HTML snippet in the DS XML to super-easy SWF embedding

Download

http://github.com/nickdunn/vimeo_videos/tree/master

Nick, This is sweet! Hopefully this should be easy enough to tweak for youtube videos etc. Nice work.

Another great extension. Good job!

Thanks guys. Fazal, yes it would be very easy to duplicate for YouTube. The benefit of Vimeo is that they have a very open API from which one can grab video meta data, including number of plays, for any video on the site. I'm not sure if YouTube offer the same.

this seems pretty dope! not sure when i'd try it, but seems like it will come in handy one day

Nick, that seems great. Just what I was looking for! I've got a little trouble installing it though.

I already have the imageuploadandpreview extension installed, but when I add the files of this extension to that folder I get this error:

Fatal error: requireonce() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/mirato/www/www.mirato.nl/extensions/vimeovideos/lib/vimeohelper.php' (includepath='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /home/mirato/www/www.mirato.nl/extensions/imageuploadpreviewfield/fields/field.vimeo_video.php on line 5

I got it working I changed the package name to 'vimeo_videos' and uploaded that, great stuff.

Bah, I had accidentally uploaded a README from another extension over the top of the Vimeo Videos one. bd_creations, please ignore the README you have and pull the new one from Github. Apologies.

hey nick, what is this line of code supposed to refer to on line 3 of the content/content.videos.php file:

require_once(EXTENSIONS . '/asdc/lib/class.asdc.php');

after enabling your extension and then trying to go to the Vimeo Videos page from the System link, i keep getting a Failed opening required '/httpdocs/extensions/asdc/lib/class.asdc.php' showing up in my log files. was i supposed to install another extension that i may have missed?

thanks

You have to install the ASDC extension that Alistair made, you can find the link in this post.

sweet. thanks, carsten. that worked.

Anyone else consistently getting “Failed to load clip XML”? I think it has something to do with DomDocument::load because everything out seems to check out. I tested the URL to fetch the XML, so it’s not the API.

Any ideas?

Hmm, I’ve not tried this extension recently since it never made it into the project I had in mind for it. But I really should update it soon towards a stable version. Unless somebody would like to have a play first? ;-)

@nickdunn

After I installed a fresh copy of Symphony 2.06, I noticed when I installed and enabled the Vimeo Video extension, that it doesn’t show up in one of the available menus. Later, I did noticed a little gap in the main backend menu and moused over the gap and then Vimeo showed up. It looks like it has not menu group to go into. Can this be fixed for Symphony 2.06 so it could go under the “System” menu or under another menu.

Great job nick, Thanks!

@nickdunn Look what I’m getting:

Erro: DOM is not defined
http://localhost/symphony-2.0.6/extensions/vimeo_videos/assets/vimeo_video.js (Line: 1)

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; pt-BR; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2

Ah, that will be because the JavaScript was dependent on Symphony’s own JS library that has since been modified to use jQuery. I don’t have time to look at a fix yet, but if you are able, it should be easy to rewrite the JS to use jQuery instead.

@nickdunn Ok, I rewrited the code based on jQuery. Here it is.

I didn’t understand well about the Symphony’s own JS library. Tell more about it :)

@rainerborene, @nickdunn I just tightened up rainerborene’s jquery a bit, there was nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to do something :P

http://gist.github.com/168579