Search

Ok, this is much less exciting than it sounds, but some of you are requesting this feature so I thought I'd show you what we've come up with. It's not finished yet, and for the moment I'm devoting my time to the section link replacement/simplification, so I won't get back to it until after that's done.

Meantime, here's how it works:

• The slider snaps to 30 min intervals unless you hold the SHIFT key, which gives you accuracy to the second if you have fine enough mouse control. You can click the bar or drag the marker.
  • The "Month" select box always contains 12 months before and after the current month, dynamically updating itself whenever it is changed.
  • Clicking the greyed calendar dates switches to the previous/next month and highlights that date.

The calendar is activated when you check the relevent checkbox on any date field. The added coolness is that the slider is implemented in an abstract way so that more field types or extensions can make use of it. :D

P.S. There are more planned features for 2.0 still in the works.

Attachments

This looks gorgeous!

Two questions:

1. Will the layout change depending on the position of a date field (main content, sidebar)?
  2. Will the calendar be translatable and will it respect the time settings in the preferences? (AM/PM, 12 or 24 hour system)

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that:

1. The month and time fields are shoved below the calendar when it's placed in the sidebar.
  2. Currently it doesn't do 24 hour time, but this should be easy to add. I'll make it based on the System Preferences setting.

Very cool!

Nice. Keep up the good work, fellas.

Looks great, can't wait to use it.

Another suggestion would be to have a "Now" button that would set the date/time to the current time. Such a button would have been useful when I was posting an article that I had been working on for a couple days. I don't want it to be ordered before all the other posts I'd made in the meantime.

Another suggestion would be to have a "Now" button that would set the date/time to the current time.

I agree; a "now" button is a definite must-have. There's equivalent functionality in the date field currently - just leave it blank when you save.

Somewhat related, I really like Timeframe and if there's demand I'd be interested to implement this as a new "date range" field type extension. For the moment, work on the calendar widget is suspended while we're busy with next beta revision.

Somewhat related, I really like Timeframe and if there's demand I'd be interested to implement this as a new "date range" field type extension.

A date rage field type would be really, really great. And Timeframe with a "symphonic" look and feel would be even greater ...

Very nice. I'll add my vote for Timeframe.

You have my vote. I'm currently using two date fields to accomplish a range.

Ditto. This can add a nice bit of flexibility to capturing date info. I've actually been thinking about this sort of thing a lot. A project I'm working on is going to have a section for events, but the way that date and time information needs to be captured can vary. For instance:

• events with specific date and specific start time (18 May 2008, 6pm)
  • events with specific date, start time, and end time (18 May 2008, 6pm - 8pm)
  • multi-day events (18 May 2008 to 20 May 2008)

What something like Timeframe would allow me to do is create a self-referencing section where events can have other constituent events. So I might have ten workshop events, for example, each of which has a specific date, start time, and end time, is a 'child' (via section link) of another event (a conference, for instance), that only specifies a date range...

A project I'm working on is going to have a section for events

Yup, me too.

Timeframe's good. Here's another one off Ajaxian today:

Datepicker