Search

A new extension, “Entry URL Field” is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

This is a great idea for an extension and potentially one that could be used for live preview of posts before pushing them to the live site?

I am using a DS that filters on approved, ‘No’ instead of yes and will then be able to allow the user to preview their posts on a dedicated preview page that I’m building!

Thanks for this Nick.

Saying that.. it should just be all posts not just approved, ‘no’ as the user might want to edit posts that are already live.. hmm more thinking for me!

EDIT Only seem to be able to get the URL to link back to the page I am editing? I’m using it locally.. does that make a difference?

Saying that.. it should just be all posts not just approved, ‘no’ as the user might want to edit posts that are already live.. hmm more thinking for me!

Just take off the filter and allow it to show all posts?

EDIT Only seem to be able to get the URL to link back to the page I am editing? I’m using it locally.. does that make a difference?

Locally shouldn’t make a difference. What XPath are you using in the expression field?

I’m using this:

{$root}/jobs/view/{entry/@id}

But all I see is a link to the current page I am editing.. I’m using Symphony 2.0.4 so you know.

For starters $root won’t work I’m afraid. Only reference to an entry element.

When you are viewing the backend entry form of an existing entry, could you look at the HTML and paste the snippet of the Entry URL field? More specifically, what is the value of the href attribute of the anchor in the backend?

It could be that this simply isn’t compatible with 2.0.4, but I don’t know why.

pastie of html source

Anchor text is “Preview Job”

Anchor URL is “/jobs/view/{entry/@id}” after taking away the {$root} element in the Xpath but from looking at the source html of the page above.. there is no url declared even though we’re placing it in the Anchor URL.

Looks like it simply isn’t resolving the URL when you save the entry. Maybe 2.0.4 is missing some delegates this extension requires.

Ok cool.. looking at a fresh build with 2.0.6 to see if a few other gripes get sorted too! cheers for the response.. Appy Chrimbo!

Hi Nick, looks like this is happening in 2.0.6 locally as well..

no target URL in the HTML here either.

Nick any solution to this at all? tried it on 2.0.6 and 2.0.4 and no joy! failing that any other filed type that would be able to retrieve the entry id and us it in an XPATH to build a link?

@monoo2: Strange, it works perfectly for me.

When I look at the source in the admin.. I see no url between the markup.. the entry data is in the db i.e jobs/view/450 etc..

But no url created..

I do have a reflection field in the top level of the section already but when I get to the editing or creation of new entries the original reflection field is hidden. What’s the chances of this being the culprit?

EDIT Subscribeddelegates are pointing to publish/new and publish/edit which is no doubt correct.. it’s just not creating the url.

EDIT It seems to work If I place the full front end URL but not a relative URL to ROOT of site..

So http://domain.co.uk/jobs/view/{entry/@id} works but jobs/view/{entry/@id} does not!

I am looking at the site behind an IP address for testing so I have http://78.90.90.838/domain.co.uk/ as my root IP address. It’s not correct by the way just example.. is there something there where the root cannot be reached this way maybe?

OK Ok.. my bad.. reading the markdown states to re-save existing entries to see the change in Entry URL link.. all is well :)

RTFM ;-)

Hee hee

I did the same thing just now. Duh! ;-)

Entry URL Field updated to version 1.1 on 7th of February 2011

I've suggested a fix for the subdirectory issue.

OK Ok.. my bad.. reading the markdown states to re-save existing entries to see the change in Entry URL link.. all is well :)

As a Symphony noob I didn't realise that resaving an entry was necessary, and I can't see it in the readme - maybe this needs (re)adding.

Thanks for a handy extension which I'm sure will be useful to clients, Rowan and Nick!

hey gents, i'm having some issues with this on 2.2.1 and am attempting to update it so i can send a pull request to nick. it seems my issues are related to the deprecation of Administration::instance().

i've managed to fix an error on line 91 of extension.driver.php by replacing FieldManager(Administration::instance()) with FieldManager(Symphony::Engine()) but i still get trouble if i try the same trick on line 124.

line 124 of fields/field.entry_url.php:

$callback = Administration::instance()->getPageCallback();

with the same attack vector as above, changing Administration::instance() to Symphony::Engine() i get this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method Frontend::getPageCallback() in (..)/extensions/entryurlfield/fields/field.entry_url.php on line 124

any ideas, or is there more information i can provide?