Search

Today I have a little time to kill, so I was thinking: why not build some symphony extensions?

The only problem is; all the things I need to do with symphony are already possible, so I can’t really think of any extensions to make right now.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

I guess extending a sessionmonster into a shoppingcart would shure make for a popular extension. Although some might argue all you need is a utility for the math, I’m sure a php based counting system might have advantages?…

banner ad rotation extension? feed it a series of images and set the rotation speed and number of banners per minute? probably not worthy of an extension..but I was thinking of something for clients to easily swap out banners on their site in a set area.

only problem is; all the things I need to do with symphony are already possible

That’s not a problem :-)

I guess extending a sessionmonster into a shoppingcart would shure make for a popular extension.

Good call! Although this would be more of an ensemble, I will definitely look into this one.

banner ad rotation extension? feed it a series of images and set the rotation speed and number of banners per minute? probably not worthy of an extension..but I was thinking of something for clients to easily swap out banners on their site in a set area.

This would be very easy to do in pure javascript, I don’t think it’s worth an extension.

That’s not a problem :-)

From a “Time-to-kill-perspective”, it is ;)

Thanks for the input guys!

I am almost done with a modified textfield, including a truncated version of the content.

I know there are some xslt templates to do this, but I think php is better suited for the job.

Will post it on github when I’m done!

How about an extension to give Symphony LDAP support for users? I know that would go a long way to getting my university into using Symphony. ;-)

We had talked awhile ago about a “Dashboard” sort of plugin that would display on logging in instead of the default section. I always thought something like that could be cool.

It might be able to display some important information about the Symphony install. Could have a few modules that could be organized and customized to suit a particular Symphony setup. Here were some potential module ideas:

• Feed: For RSS or Datasources, and have a button to “Create New” where it would bring you to the appropriate new content page.
  • Info: Could display Symphony version, number of pages, number of pieces of content, database size? Other stuff?
  • Quick Links: This could just be any number of buttons that might link around to various pages within the Symphony backend, or outside of it.
  • Recent Activity: I don’t know if this is possible, have a quick display of “Joe Schmoe created a new section”, “John Doe edited an article”, etc.
  • Analytics: Could integrate with Google Analytics and show some basic numbers and a chart for the month.
  • Notes: Just a random note where you could store some information that might be useful to people logging into the site.

I dunno, just seems like something that might be useful. I suppose the other option would be just to allow people to attach a “Page” to a part of the backend, where they could attach their own datasources and program their own XSLT.

TheJester12 - These seem great.. ye a dashboard sounds ideal.. and Analytics simplified would be really useful to me. plus a Notes area.. where the client can jot down short messages or even basecamp style internal messaging to other site users?

@TheJester12 - That’s a really good idea! It might not be as easy as it seems (it needs to have an api itself, etc) but nonetheless, a very good idea!

A popular extension is just what I was going to say, but I actually mean.. a popular extension.

I want to create this ..

I am using the subsection manager to add tags to entries. I want to be able to count how many times each is used, and also be able to sort which tags are most popular (ie. sort by which is used most). Ideally this would just be an easy data source option.

A custom DS on top of the SSM can do this pretty easily if all you want is this output, just a case of count, join and group by.

I need a rating system for homeowners to rate contractors on the project they do for homeowners. I'm new to the Symphony CMS I don't know where to start to make extension. I need to make it a lock system so the homeowner and the contractor have a secret code so it may be tamper free. I'm open for Idea's let me know if you can make this systems or if know someone let me know thanks.

Also I'm in need of Geo location system zipcode,city,state I'm in the USA.

Thanks, Open for suggestions

Publish Filtering could take a combination of filters.