Search

OK. Y’all, I’m copying the part of the Windows IIS thread and starting a new one thread so to put emphasis on XAMPP on Windows (instead of IIS).

Plus, also, I too, am working along wjnielsen, who is developing on XAMPP with Symphony 2.0.7. It seems as soon as we squash a bug another one pops up. Wjnielsen is working with the Members extension (which is really cool by the way) and we are just trying to get past the hurdles that we’ve been facing.

Anyway, I’m copying the thread with @phoque and @wjnielsen here since it deals with XAMPP on Windows and not IIS.

phoque 02 Apr 10, 12:01 pm Comment #3

I develop in Windows on Xampp and have been pretty frustrated recently with the large amount of development time lost to Symphony’s official LAMP only focus. I do the same and it’s running smoothly. What problems did you face?

wjnielsen 02 Apr 10, 12:21 pm Comment #4

@phoque Generally, Symphony does run smoothly in Xampp. I’ve had consistent problems in running the variety of 2.0.7 editions that have come out. Recently, we were able to resolve some of our issues with this solution. This is relatively minor, but one has to remember to re-fix it when one updates. The issue isn’t the difficulty of fixing htaccess files here, but the time it takes to track down the changes you made that need to be remade upon updating. So this part, if not all of it, is on me given the LAMP focus for Symphony.

I’m still trying to figure out what exactly happened Monday when we updated before I can answer specifically about the current issues. Right now I’m working through this error:

implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed
C:xampphtdocspcpc.orgsymphony-2extensionsselectbox_link_fieldfieldsfield.selectbox_link.php line 364

359         $fields = array();
360         $fields['field_id'] = $id;
361         if($this->get('related_field_id') != '') $fields['related_field_id'] = $this->get('related_field_id');
362         $fields['allow_multiple_selection'] = ($this->get('allow_multiple_selection') ? $this->get('allow_multiple_selection') : 'no');
363         $fields['limit'] = max(1, (int)$this->get('limit'));
364         $fields['related_field_id'] = implode(',', $this->get('related_field_id'));
366         $this->Database->query("DELETE FROM `sym_fields_".$this->handle()."` WHERE `field_id` = '$id'");
368         if(!$this->Database->insert($fields, 'sym_fields_' . $this->handle())) return false;

Again, some of the steam here is that I’ve lost a week of production and am not sure what happened other than we updated and the depth of my understanding of the inner-workings of Symphony is increasingly evidenced to be relatively myopic - and that is also, on me.

wjnielsen 02 Apr 10, 12:35 pm Comment #5

Got that one fixed and now I cant create a new record:

Symphony Fatal Database Error

Column 'relation_id' cannot be null

An error occurred while attempting to execute the following query

* INSERT INTO `pca_entries_data_87` (`entry_id`, `relation_id`) VALUES ('269', NULL)

That last error looks familiar. Do you have the latest version of the Select Box Link extension?

It was Version: 1.18

What type of field has an ID of 87?

Select box link.

Also, here’s the error, when I try to access the images section… that has a select box link pointing to our calendar events section.

implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed
    /home/testsite/public/extensions/selectbox_link_field/fields/field.selectbox_link.php line 276

272         // find the sections of the related fields
    273         $sections = $this->Database->fetch("SELECT DISTINCT (s.id), s.name, f.id as `field_id`
    274                                             FROM `sym_sections` AS `s` 
    275                                             LEFT JOIN `sym_fields` AS `f` ON `s`.id = `f`.parent_section
    276                                             WHERE `f`.id IN ('" . implode("','", $this->get('related_field_id')) . "')
    277                                             ORDER BY s.sortorder ASC");
    279         if(is_array($sections) && !empty($sections)){
    280             foreach($sections as $section){

The same thing happens when I try to save the section setup.

Have you tried a more recent version? Just wondering why you’re using version 2.0.7 rather than 2.0.8RC1. I found that the core was really buggy with 2.0.7 and has been getting progressively better with the integration branch of 2.0.7 and now the 2.0.8RC1 release.

Copy the directory and the database, point the config.php to the copied database

'db' => 'name_of_copied_database',

and modify the .htaccess file to

RewriteBase /path/to/copied/directory/

Then, update as usual.

Well, my understanding is that 2.0.8 RC1 would be more buggy than 2.0.7 master. Is there anyway that we could lock down a version’s stability so we know that we can depend on it. 2.06 for the most part was very solid. 2.0.7 has been a nightmare.

I’m really not trying to complain, but wjnielsen and I have been running in circles trying to figure out what’s been wrong.

Sorry man. I don’t mean sound horrible, it’s just been a frustrating week. Y’all have been really great. This community is one of the main reason’s (outside the flexibility and awesomeness of Symphony) that keeps me wanting to use Symphony.

I will try updating that database and get back to you.

Thank you again… to you and everyone else that has pitched in and tried to help. I can’t tell you how much we appreciate it!!!

The reason I suggest trying 2.0.8 is to quickly figure out whether there have been any changes since 2.0.7 that address the problem. You don’t need to deploy with 2.0.8. Just see if it fixes the problem. If it does, you might want to go with 2.0.8 anyway. Or just cherry pick the change that made the difference.

I vaguely remember that I might have updated to the 2.0.7 integration branch and found the issue went away. But my memory is pretty foggy.

But you’re right. Version 2.0.7 has been a buggy nightmare. Everything that I’ve been doing with it has been strictly experimental. If I had anything in production, I probably would stick with 2.0.6 until 2.0.8 is declared solid. But since you are using the Members extension, I don’t think you have a choice.

Thank you Stephen! I’ll report back later tonight with my findings.

@bzerangue:

Well, my understanding is that 2.0.8 RC1 would be more buggy than 2.0.7 master.

There are some bugs in 2.0.8 which seem rather critical to me. I am using a patched version of 2.0.7 on some websites. But I hope that we will have a much better 2.0.8 RC2 version soon.

@michael-e, thanks for the input. do you have a suggestion on what patched version is most stable?

@bauhouse, i’ll still try later this evening with 2.0.8 RC1 stuff and report back with my findings if my problems are fixed.

@community - what is the most stable version to run the FrontEnd Members extension?

I haven’t patched more than these:

what is the most stable version to run the FrontEnd Members extension?

I am afraid that it’s the extension which is not “stable” (or mature). I tried it and failed. To be honest, I didn’t even succeed in sending any emails. I really hope that it will be reworked for 2.0.8.

I hope that there will be some community members nailing down the FrontEnd Membership extension’s bugs. At the moment I really don’t find the time to do so.

@Alistair: Hit me if I am a fool. I really didn’t manage to get it working properly…

@bauhouse -

I did what you said, i copied the directory. I made a copy of site directory and put it in a subdirectory call test-install and then I changed the copied .htaccess with RewriteBase /test-install/. And then I made a copy of the database and pointed the manifest to it. I copied over the 2.0.8RC1 integration files. Then I ran the update.php file. I then I got a Fatal Database error saying that it couldn’t DROP the column calendar from sym_fields_date. Well, it changed my copy manifest to 2.0.8RC1, so it looked like it updated.

And then I logged into the new copied Symphony and click one of my content sections, and got the following error (a new error).

fopen(/Users/Sites/pcpc-test/test-install/manifest/tmp/c947d15812285cea508064e8001c0b9b.lock) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied
    /Users/Sites/pcpc-test/test-install/symphony/lib/toolkit/class.mutex.php line 33

28          return touch(self::__generateLockFileName($id, $path));
    29      }
    31      private static function __createLock($lockFile){
    33          if(!$fp = fopen($lockFile, 'w')) return false;
    35          fwrite($fp, 'Mutex lock file - DO NOT DELETE');
    36          fclose($fp);

It just seems this a consistent error. If something else updates, something else breaks.

I’m tired. I’ll have to try the 2.07 integration branch and 2.0.8RC1 master branch tomorrow. I report back with my findings.

That’s a permissions issue.

@bzerangue - For what it’s worth, back when I was developing on Windows I started with XAMPP but soon switched to WAMPServer. I found it to be more stable and easier to use. But my development activities weren’t what I would call heavy duty. You may have already considered WAMPServer but I thought I would mention it anyway. I have no experience with WAMPServer and Symphony.

I’ve been on Ubuntu Linux for about a year now and I find it far superior to Windows as a development platform.

I have to agree about WAMP. I’ve always had a lot of problems with xampp, and after I switched everything just worked.

I can’t get the export ensemble to work on xampp - the .zip can’t be opened. It’s fine on linux. Does anyone know if there is a setting that needs changing eg. php.ini etc. Does the export ensemble work on WAMP?

I’ve been on Ubuntu Linux for about a year now and I find it far superior to Windows as a development platform.

I couldn’t agree more strongly!!

Don’t make things difficult for yourself working through a layer of windows abstraction if you don’t need to. It’s not difficult to set up a window machine to dual-boot into linux and working on a pure LAMP platform makes you more familiar with the platform you are inevitably deploying onto.

I agree with robphilp. For a designer come developer, I spent longer than planned having to understand basic security on linux hosting when deploying a finished application. I’ve got Fedora now on a separate machine. If not dual-boot then virtual linux is a good alternative.