Search

Subsection Manager

Subsection Manager View

Subsection management for Symphony.

Updates

Information about new versions:

Synopsis

Symphony offers an easy way to create sections and model the fields the way you like. Nevertheless, from time to time you need to connect the content of two sections: you might have an articles section you’d like to link images to, or you are building a books section you’d like to connect with authors. With a default Symphony install, you can use select boxes or selectbox links to create these connections, but you will not be able to see and manage all your content at once. The Subsection Manager tries to solve this problem by providing an inline management of another section’s content. By adding the Subsection Manager field to your parent section, you can integrate another section as a subsection. The subsection’s entries can be managed through the inline interface as well as the regular Symphony section entry list. You can opt for inline editing only by simply hiding the specified section from the menu.

Subsection Manager Edit

Subsection Manager is the successor of Mediathek and requires Symphony 2.1 or newer. Subsection Manager and Mediathek should not be used simultaneously. This extension comes with an upgrade script that automatically replaces all Mediathek fields with the Subsection Manager (see below).

Installation

Subsection Manager contains three components:

• The Subsection Manager itself which handles the section interactions,
  • Stage which offers the interface for the inline section management and
  • Draggable which provides drag and drop features.

If you are working with Git, please clone the development branch of this extension which contains all components as submodules. Please don’t forget to pull the submodules as well. If you are not using Git and want to install this extension using FTP, please just download a copy of the release branch which bundles all needed submodules. More information about installing and updating extensions can be found in the Symphony documentation at http://getsymphony.com/learn/.

All interface related components of the Subsection Manager are JavaScript based. If you are upgrading from an earlier version, please make sure to clear your browser cache to avoid interface issues. If another extension or the Symphony core throws a JavaScript error, the Subsection Manager will stop working.

Upgrading Mediathek Fields

If you have Mediathek and Subsection Manager installed simultaneously, the interface of both extensions will be broken. While Mediathek is built to work with Symphony 2.0, Subsection Manager relies on the improved features of Symphony 2.1. If you have both extensions installed, the system will show a message in the extension overview which will help you to upgrade all your Mediathek fields to Subsection Manager.

Be aware that this upgrade process will alter your database and will uninstall your Mediathek extension. Make sure that you have an up-to-date backup of your site, containing all files and folders, and a copy of your database before you proceed with the upgrade. The upgrade cannot be undone.

Release Notes

Version 1.0

• Initial release.
  • The drag and drop feature is considered experimental. You may run into bugs.

Acknowledgement

The drawer colors and layout were inspired by Scott Hughes’ Calendar Mock-up and Rowan Lewis’ Calendar Overlay.

A lot of people have been testing this extension and providing valuable feedback. A big thank you to all of you, in alphabetic order: Alistair Kearney, Allen Chang, Andrea Buran, Andrew Minton, Andrew Shooner, Brendan Abbott, Brian Zerangue, Brien Wright, Craig Zheng, Dale Tan, David Hund, Doug Stewart, Fazal Khan, Frode Danielsen, Giulio Trico, Grzegorz Michlicki, Huib Keemink, Jiri Vanmeerbeeck, Johanna Hörrmann, John Porter, Jonas Coch, Mark a.k.a. Ecko, Mark a.k.a. m165, Mark Lewis, Max Wheeler, Michael Eichelsdörfer, Nick Dunn, Nils Werner, Simone Economo, Stephen Bau, Tony Arnold and all of you who love and use Symphony and try to make it better every day.

Attachments:
sym_subsectionmanager-view.png, sym_subsectionmanager-edit.png and sym_subsectionmanager-browse.png

Congratulations, Nils, for releasing this masterpiece!

I am sure that it will be used on many many Symphony websites.

Yeah. Congratulations and a big Thank You, Nils!

Awesome work Nils. Great timing, I just started working on my first Symphony site and this is making it an even better experience!

Nils would you like me to make this the “official” Subsection Manager thread, so that it updates when you update the extension?

Ooh! Will definitely use this for my next project. Thanks a lot Nils!

Yay! :)

Nils would you like me to make this the “official” Subsection Manager thread, so that it updates when you update the extension?

That would be nice. I mailed Allen and Craig in this matter. First come, first serve :)

Ah, and if you’ve got the needed permissions it would be great if you could close the old thread. Thanks a lot!

Extension/thread mapping updated, and old thread closed :-)

Congratulations on getting v1.0 out!

Nils,

I ran into some trouble when updating :( (I’m sure it has to do with my inexperience with Symphony and not with your extension)

I already have some fields with the pre v.10 version but added the new files to the extension (Just overwrote the subsectionamanager folder, that’s probably where I’ve made a mistake).

The extension shows ‘disabled’, enabling it throws an error:

MySQL Error (1060): Duplicate column name ‘context’ in query “ALTER TABLE sym_fields_stage ADD context varchar(255) default NULL”

I cannot enable the extension anymore, but it is still in use with some sections.

Any ideas on how to re-enable it (I don’t think the SQL queries need to be run since it was already installed)?

Any pointers on how to update the extension in the future (since it depends on Sage etc.)?

Just remove the update function from extension.driver.php and try to enable it again.

Worked a charm, danke!

Can/should I add the update function again after enabling the extension? (I did and it did not throw an error, so I assume it’s fine)

No, it’s just fine as it is now. There was a wrong version number in the last beta. That’s what’s messing up the update process now. Sorry about that!

Hi Nils, great job here! Been patiently anticipating the first release, well done!

Excellent! This is exactly what I wanted for a section I’m making now.

Unfortunately, I’m getting an error. :( I successfully added a Subsection Manager field to an existing section. While creating a new entry in that section, I used the Subsection Manager to add a new entry to the subsection (this was also the first entry in that subsection).

Now, when I try to edit the section that has a Subsection Manager field, I get this error on the edit page:

Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in C:\..\extensions\subsectionmanager\fields\field.subsectionmanager.php on line 104

It’s an incorrectly named variable I introduced right before the release. Really sorry about that! I’ll push a fix soon.

Ben, could you please check if this solves your issue: github.com/nilshoerrmann/subsectionmanager/commit/…

Thanks!

Subsection Manager updated to version 1.0.1 on 28th of August 2010

• Fixed issue with the section editor display.
  • Fixed issues with updates from beta versions.