Search

I had a few questions about the new “Update Extension” functionality. Generally it seems really nice, but it also made me think a bit. Sorry if I’m behind the times asking these…

1. Where are these new versions coming from? How does it know when a new version is available?
  2. Is there going to be a way to disable the warning message if I’ve chosen not to update the extension for a certain reason?
  3. I’m hoping authors wouldn’t see that warning about extension updates?
  4. Should there be more of a warning before you choose to update? Updating an extension in Symphony can sometimes cause issues. Are we just trusting that developers know what they’re doing?

The message is only shown when you updated an extension manually by replacing the files on the server but forgot to run the update function by reenabling the extension. Symphony does not check anything remotely.

The system simply checks if the version number stored in your database matches the version number in the extension on your server.

So, just to make it clear: This is nothing fancy or anything new. The notification just highlights when you missed a step while updating an extension manually.

@TheJester12

Q4. Well, if you don’t trust them, you can build your own extensions, or check / test theirs … :) so far, I choosed to trust them.

Happy coding !

3) is something I definitely have to double check.

The notification just highlights when you missed a step while updating an extension manually.

Yep. We found that some users often update the extension files (by overwriting them in /extensions) but they forget to navigate to the Extensions page and Enable the extension again. If you don’t re-enable the extension, the extension’s own updater doesn’t run, so this is a reminder to developers that they need to re-enable the extension.

It definitely does not look for newly available versions or anything like that.

3) is something I definitely have to double check.

Unfortunately the warning about extension updates does show up for authors as well.

Filed issue #524.

4. Should there be more of a warning before you choose to update? Updating an extension in Symphony can sometimes cause issues. Are we just trusting that developers know what they’re doing?

Q4. Well, if you don’t trust them, you can build your own extensions, or check / test theirs … :) so far, I choosed to trust them.

Well, when you see the message we are talking about you’ve already chosen to trust the developer because you already (manually) replaced the files in the extension folder. This is really only about making sure that you don’t break your system due to an unfinished update (which is missing database changes for example).

Got it, sorry, was confusing this functionality for a Wordpress-sort of automatic update. This is good to know, I actually don’t think I ever knew that I had to re-enable the extension at all, so this helps a lot in that case then.