Search

As development of Symphony 2.3 pushes ahead, the team will releasing development notes for extension developers (and users to a lesser extent) of the changes in the codebase that may affect their extensions.

Bring it on !

Thanks @brendo

Thanks Brendo for this post.

Updated to include the Migration Guide, extension.meta.xml Schema and Beta 2 links.

There will be a Symphony 2.3 hackfest in March for 24 hours. The aim of the hackathon is for the Working Group to release a Symphony 2.3 Beta 3 (or RC1). The team will move through the Symphony issue tracker and then pending time, move onto the core extensions and symphonists trackers.

The working group will be on IRC (irc.freenode.net #symphony) throughout the hackathon and anyone is welcome to pop in and say hello.

This probably isn't the best time to come in and spill the beans on your great idea (not yet anyway), but if you're keen to chat, want to help test, contribute or stalk, please join :)

More details around the start date/time to come, at this stage March 10-11 is a firm favourite, but I just thought I'd give peeps the heads up.

So this 24 hours hackfest, what time will this be? Because I might be able to pitch in for 4-6 hours hard sweaty developer work at sunday around 18:00, but that's GMT +0100 (Europe/Amsterdam), so I don't know what time you had in mind? Perhaps a mini-site/online clock would be great for this?

We'll finalise the times and use WorldTimeBuddy so that everyone's aware :)

Too bad it ends sunday at 1am for my timezone. I might be able to pop in some hours on sunday 8pm, pick up some leftovers ;-)

In no way to sound pushy, but curious for our own development (and excitement about all things Symphony), do you all have an ETA on v 2.3.0?

The third beta is due at the end of this week, ready for everyone to begin testing with:

1. Users should try upgrading their own sites (a local copy, of course) to help with testing
  2. Extension developers should test their extensions against this (final) beta

Once any further bugs have been logged and fixed, the guys will issue one or more release candidates (RCs), with an aim to having 2.3 final released in a few weeks time.

Hold out for the next beta release then give it a try — it's looking great!

As far as I know, beta 3 has been pushed back by one week. Anyway it's a matter of days.

But: Before you attempt to use it, double-check that your extensions have been updated for 2.3. As Nick said, don't update a live (production) system before you have tested the update process on a copy of the website and tested that everything is running fine. (There really are some "breaking changes", but you will see that it's worth it. 2.3 feels great.)

• Beta 3: 26th March
  • RC1: 12th April
  • Final: 29th April (tentatively)

Beta 3 has been pushed back a week for the completion of the Drawer plugin. It's fine to test on integration otherwise. This Beta 3 is probably closer to an RC.5 than anything, but we'll follow due course.

Thank you @brendo.

Sweet! Going to pull down some live sites and try upgrading them locally to see what happens >:)

Though I am using a lot of extensions so expect some of them to break, including ones that, IIRC, won't be updated any time soon for 2.3. Might have to get my hands dirty fixing a few up.

Haven't had a chance to play around with any 2.3 stuff yet, so I'm excited to see what's changed.

Is there any advice/notes anywhere on how to use the changed markup/js/css? I see lots for the PHP side of extension development, but nothing for the markup/js/css changes.

I'm trying to update extensions, but they are all broken when it comes to these things.

Some of these things have to be written by me but I haven't found the time yet. Do you have any specific questions?

It's the duplicator that's stumped me. I've looked at the code sections blueprint as to how the duplicator works there, but it just doesn't make sense.

It's got me thinking that we (as a team) could do with making a demo non-installable extension template that shows the markup/css/js in use, kind of like an example pack.

What do you think?

Yes, that would be nice.

Just as general information: the way you implement a Duplicator as developer hasn't changed. It's just the internal logic that changed and there are a few additional features. The minimum you need to create a Duplicator is a list that you apply the plugin to, e. g. $('ol').symphonyDuplicator.