Search

Hi everyone, I'm a new Symphony user.

But I can't log in to the installation I've just completed on my home box (I wanna try this out before I use it professionally). I've set up a server with the name 'xandor'. When I go to http://xandor everything works fine, I see the default first page, but when I try to log in to the backend, i.e. http://xandor/symphony it redirects constantly and I get the following error: The page isn't redirecting properly. Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

Similar error in Chromium.

I am running Ubuntu 11.10 and haven't changed any settings. Here is the virtual host file for the address 'xandor':

<VirtualHost xandor> 
        ServerAdmin zeorin@gmail.com 
        DocumentRoot /var/www/xandor 
        ServerName xandor 
</VirtualHost> 

The error from chrome reads as follows:

The webpage at http://xandor/xandor/xandor/index.php/?symphony-page=xandor/xandor/index.php/&symphony-page=xandor/xandor/index.php/&symphony-page=xandor/xandor/index.php/&symphony-page=xandor/xandor/index.php/&symphony-page=xandor/xandor/index.php/&symphony-page=xandor/xandor/index.php/&symphony-page=xandor/xandor/index.php/&symphony-page=xandor/xandor/index.php/&symphony-page=xandor/xandor/index.php/&symphony-page=xandor/xandor/index.php/&symphony-page=xandor/xandor/index.php/&symphony-page=xandor/xandor/index.php/&symphony-page=xandor/xandor/index.php/&symphony-page=xandor/xandor/index.php/&symphony-page=xandor/xandor/index.php/&symphony-page=xandor/xandor/index.php/&symphony-page=xandor/xandor/index.php/&symphony-page=xandor/xandor/index.php/&symphony-page=xandor/xandor/index.php/&symphony-page=xandor/symphony/ has resulted in too many redirects. Clearing your cookies for this site or allowing third-party cookies may fix the problem. If not, it is possibly a server configuration issue and not a problem with your computer.

Can you post your .htaccess file content here please :)

### Symphony 2.2.x ###
Options +FollowSymlinks -Indexes

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteBase /xandor/

### SECURITY - Protect crucial files
    RewriteRule ^manifest/(.*)$ - [F]
    RewriteRule ^workspace/utilities/(.*).xsl$ - [F]
    RewriteRule ^workspace/pages/(.*).xsl$ - [F]
    RewriteRule ^(.*).sql$ - [F]
    RewriteRule (^|/). - [F]

### DO NOT APPLY RULES WHEN REQUESTING "favicon.ico"
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} favicon.ico [NC]
    RewriteRule .* - [S=14]

### IMAGE RULES
    RewriteRule ^image/(.+.(jpg|gif|jpeg|png|bmp))$ extensions/jit_image_manipulation/lib/image.php?param=$1 [L,NC]

### CHECK FOR TRAILING SLASH - Will ignore files
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/$
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(.*)/$
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ $1/ [L,R=301]

### URL Correction
    RewriteRule ^(symphony/)?index.php(/.*/?) $1$2 [NC]

### ADMIN REWRITE
    RewriteRule ^symphony/?$ index.php?mode=administration&%{QUERY_STRING} [NC,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule ^symphony(/(.*/?))?$ index.php?symphony-page=$1&mode=administration&%{QUERY_STRING}   [NC,L]

### FRONTEND REWRITE - Will ignore files and folders
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule ^(.*/?)$ index.php?symphony-page=$1&%{QUERY_STRING}    [L]

</IfModule>
######

Can you change your RewriteBase to / and see if that fixes it.

When I do that the URL changes from http://xandor/symphony to http://xandor/xandor/xandor/index.php/?symphony-page=xandor/symphony/ and the 404 error page is shown.

What is the DOCUMENT_ROOT of your install? I.e. where is the lowest levl you can view an html page?

that is /var/www for my apache install. Here is the contents of my default.conf in sites-available (that is the basic configuration for Debian and Ubuntu systems):

<VirtualHost *:80> 
        ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost 

DocumentRoot /var/www 
        <Directory /> 
                Options FollowSymLinks 
                AllowOverride None 
        </Directory> 
        <Directory /var/www/> 
                Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews 
                AllowOverride None 
                Order allow,deny 
                allow from all 
        </Directory> 

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/ 
        <Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin"> 
                AllowOverride None 
                Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch 
                Order allow,deny 
                Allow from all 
        </Directory> 

ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log 

# Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error, crit, 
        # alert, emerg. 
        LogLevel warn 

CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined 

Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/" 
    <Directory "/usr/share/doc/"> 
        Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks 
        AllowOverride None 
        Order deny,allow 
        Deny from all 
        Allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 ::1/128 
    </Directory> 

</VirtualHost>

Hey All,

Sorry to bump this thread but I'm still not having any luck with Symphony.

Please help me out guys; I've heard such good things about Symphony (again today from a new person) and I'd really like to try it out.

Much thanks!

AllowOverride directive must be set to All. Don't know if that's causing the problem though.

Remember to restart the server after applying changes to the configuration.

sudo service apache2 restart

A couple of thoughts:

1. I seem to remember that I once needed to add a domain suffix to a ServerName (e.g. xandor.net) to get Symphony to work - not sure about this and if really was/still is the case.

2. Edit: ignore my number 2 - just reread your posts above. But if DocumentRoot is /var/www/xandor (and the xandor directory directly contains index.php), RewriteBase should be /, as designermonkey said.

AFAIK, you must set AllowOverride All for the Symphony host. But omitting this shouldn't cause infinite redirection. (http://example.com/symphony/ should deliver a 403 page then.) That is strange. Are you sure that the Apache/virtual host configuration that you posted is correct?

[EDIT]: Beaten by @alpacaaa...

Hey I got this working now! Woot! Thanks for all your help!

What got it working was to change AllowOverride to All.

@michael-e when my rewrite base was not / but /xandor/, I had an infinite redirect. Upon changing it to /, I got a 404 error.

Time to get my fingers dirty! :)

That's weird, I would've expected a 500 when AllowOverride All was missing.

But yeah that rule (or at least AllowOverride FileInfo) is always required if you're trying to use a .htaccess files.

@zeorin: Great to hear that!

@phoque: A URL like http://example.com/symphony/ actually points to a physical folder on the server, so you should either get a directory listing (if Indexes are activated) or a 403 error.

No I thought the mere presence of a .htaccess file will cause that error to appear. Anyways, glad you could fix it.

@phoque: Apache will not throw an error if there is an .htaccess file present but AllowOverride is set to None. It will simple ignore the .htaccess file.

Edit: I've solved this; I had my .htaccess files at the wrong level.

I think this is the same problem that I'm having – I'm being 404-ed for all pages (including backend) apart from my homepage after moving servers.

I think I have mod_rewrite set up correctly but I don't have AllowOverride anywhere in the .htaccess file (is that where it should be?). Any attempt to addAllowOverride results in me getting a 500 error (although I don't know if I'm adding it correctly).

Thanks in advance.