Search

The Export Install File extension is a modified version of Alistair Kearney’s Export Ensemble. The intention of this extension is to provide a means of maintaining a Git repository of a Symphony ensemble by exporting the install file and including the updated install file with every commit. Theoretically it is possible to checkout any commit in the repository and be able to recreate the state of the database at the time of the commit.

All credit to creating the extension goes to Alistair Kearney. I simply deleted a few lines to prevent the rest of the ensemble files from being saved to the ZIP archive.

If anyone thinks this is worth adding to Downloads, I will.

Note: The Export Ensemble extension must be disabled for this extension to work, because, for some reason, a full ensemble is exported when the Export Ensemble extension is enabled.

Would this be happening because these two extensions share the same PHP functions, so one is overriding the other because they are both enabled?

Update: It appears this extension is already obsolete. A new installer has just been added to the integration branch and a modified Export Ensemble extension that will produce an install.php file and two SQL files: one install.sql file for the basic table structure and another install.sql file for the workspace with all the custom fields and entries data. This should make it much easier to keep an ensemble under version control, and it will be much easier to know how changes made to the admin when creating sections, utilities, data sources, events, and pages and adding extensions and entries will affect the database, as the SQL is no longer Base64 encoded.

An ensemble can then be maintained under version control by forking the workspace instead of the entire Symphony repository.

Thanks to the developers for their work on encapsulating all Symphony customizations in the workspace. You guys are reading my mind.

Apologies for causing the redundancy, bauhouse – that was unintentional. We’ve mentioned on twitter a couple of times that we’re revamping the installer for the 2.0.4 update, perhaps we should’ve been more explicit about what we were revamping.

That’ll teach me for not following my Twitter account. Thanks, Allen!

Export Install File 1.1

Updated for Symphony 2.0.4

Download from GitHub: http://github.com/bauhouse/export_install_file/tree/1.1

As it turns out, this extension isn’t obsolete just yet. I’m still having issues with the Export Ensemble extension when there are too many extensions and the archive cannot be saved successfully. And, again, all I want is the SQL data to replace in my Git repository, so I’m finding this to be much more efficient.