Search

The only bit I am not entirely happy with is updating the symphony installs using Git.

What’s worked for me is this: I clone the official repo, and then create a new remote pointing to a separate, private repo for whatever site I’m building. I add the workspace, and any extensions I’m using as submodules. Push all that to the private repo, and then the production server clones that.

Updating Symphony is fairly painless. I do git fetch origin and git merge origin/master. Only time I got a merge conflict was when we added the XSS filter extension and it didn’t know what to do with my modified .gitmodules file, but that was a simple fix of course. Once the local repo’s up to date, I push it to the private remote and the production server pulls.

Looking at Jonas’ recommendation above, I moved some sites to Webfaction. Great performance and support. Control panel is funky at first but easy to figure out. I like it a lot.

i recently used webfaction for a django project. so far they’ve been fantastic.

I add the workspace, and any extensions I’m using as submodules.

This doubles the time required to commit something to the workspace (go to the superproject and commit the changed workspace there too)…

Workspace for me isn’t a submodule. I don’t use the default workspace, so I just add my files to the main repo.

Anyone seen bagcheck.com? Here's my work setup for Symphony CMS development with some shameless plugs for Symphony.

Hey @bauhause, the link did not work for me :(

Ah. I hadn't realized that I needed to publish my bag for it to be public. :P

"Go publish your bag.." hah sounds like an insult :p

Not many developers know Notespad++ can edit XML with XML Toola plugin.

For 4 months now I switched from Eclipse to PHPStorm from Jetbrains. It includes everything from HTML to PHP, Git and much more. Even XSLT debugging, though I didn't need it yet.

Just wondering no one is using vim. Anyone?

My current setup:

• vim (well, macvim. Switched form netbeans a year ago and it's simply the best and mightiest editor I've ever seen)
  • terminal
  • terminal and sourcetree for git versioning
  • Less.app for less css compiling (i could do this in vim, but this way it's more verbose on errors)
  • Sequel Pro for MySQL database administration
  • Apache2 (OS X default) with php and mysql (maintained through homebrew package manager)
  • xslpalette

I use

• PHPStorm as IDE
  • SmartGit for git versioning
  • Compass.app for SCSS

Just wondering no one is using vim. Anyone?

It's a goal of mine to learn, and I did make a start. I'm also thinking about switching to Dvorak first which, unlike QWERTY, isn't designed to slow typing down!

Currently:

• Ubuntu for workstation, Debian for VPS webserver
  • Apache webserver, PHP and MySQL from native packages - would never go back to XAMPP
  • Hiawatha webserver from source or Debian package
  • A mixture of PHPMyAdmin, MySQL Workbench and the MySQL terminal program (transferring database content from one database to another can be quite quick and easy using the terminal and SSH) - I still need to look at trying some of the Symphony database syncing approaches I've seen others discussing
  • Komodo Edit text editor
  • Git in terminal for changing and deploying (and sometimes Github or similar or Rabbit VCS for viewing logs and changesets) - still need to get into Capistrano or similar
  • Compass in terminal for Sass CSS (compass watch <directory>)

I'm a vim user, couldn't imagine editing text in anything else, I've got vim muscle memory now so if I type anywhere else I tend to end up with random jj kk i littered all over the place! Learning vim was definitely the best productivity decision I ever made in my life, once you make the leap to a modal editor there's simply no competition. Can't recommend highly enough.

Other tools of the trade: -

• iTerm2 with zsh and screen (tmux might replace screen soon)
  • git
  • MAMP for local development
  • Ubuntu with Nginx & PHP FastCGI for deployment
  • LastPass for keeping the ludicrous number of login details under control
  • Sequel Pro for DBA
  • Less.app
  • xScope for pixel measuring
  • YummyFTP (find this way better than Transmit)

I use Forklift now as a file manager and since it means I can have my remote servers right alongside my local files I find I'm using that over YummyFTP a lot more now, Forklift just pretty much handles all my file needs these days

Just started using Clarify for making 'Show the client' PDFs, great little tool

Question: How many Mac users here are still on Snow Leopard rather than Lion? Keep hearing less than stellar things about Lion and would love to know anyone's experiences/recommendations on the switch.

I've got vim muscle memory

second that :)