Search

It seems that a change in the author class made the _fields property private so this extension is no longer able to fetch the author id in order to set languages on a per user base. As I mentioned in the other thread I think Symphony should have a build-in language switcher (a global setting in the preferences and an individual in the authors profiles).

A core implementation is the way to go so I won’t be updating this extension for Symphony 2.0.7.

Access to underscored variables isn’t advised. As far as I know, PHP4 didn’t allow private members inside classes so the underscore is used to denote this. Now PHP5 is a minimum requirement, cleanups are in progress to make the public/private access explicit.

You can still access the _fields array through the get() method on an Author object.

$author->get('id');

This is consistent across all objects in Symphony (Entry, Section, Author etc.)

A core implementation is the way to go so I won’t be updating this extension for Symphony 2.0.7.

In general, apart from the function that intercepts JavaScript strings, everything else can be fixed quickly with a minimum effort and in a few minutes. I would suggest to release an update anyway. In fact, having the localisation manager working on PHP strings is better than having it not working at all. Just my two cents.

The best thing would be to integrate language preferences in the Symphony core and to update Marcin’s Translation Manager for Symphony 2.0.7 as it is better suited for managing translations across different files (string integration on a per extension base, statistic of translated strings etc.). This Localisation Manager would no longer be needed.

@Nils Will you add current languages as submodules? :)

The problem is that submodules create subdirectories for each external repository which is not how the translation manager class currently works.

Localisation Manager updated to version 1.1 on 8th of January 2010

Compatibility release

• Only works with Symphony 2.0.7
  • Please use version 1.0.2 for older Symphony versions

As I mentioned in the other thread I think Symphony should have a build-in language switcher (a global setting in the preferences and an individual in the authors profiles).

I just implemented a global language selection in my fork of Symphony’s integration branch: http://github.com/nilshoerrmann/symphony-2/commit/7a178a8f8547651e617a919877bc1d56c7be1b89. Feedback is welcome.

Working on a custom per author setting.

In order to get a proper localised Symphony backend I started adding language files to the core extensions. Please have a look at http://github.com/nilshoerrmann/maintenance_mode and http://github.com/nilshoerrmann/selectbox_link_field and check if your translations are accurate and complete. Please send me pull requests for changes.

Thanks a lot!

Nils, do you need someone for the french translation ?

Yes, of course :)
Just fork the Localisation Manager and send a pull request for your French translation.

Please note the following issue when using this extension in connection with a Date and Time field: http://getsymphony.com/discuss/thread/27336/5/#position-86

Nils, I’ve sent you a pull request to include the Italian language file into the Localisation Manager. Let me know if there are any problems!

I’ve also noticed that the version and release-date fields inside extension.driver.php haven’t changed with the 1.1 release. Oversight?

Alistair has been pulling a lot of localisation related code today. Please have a look at the main Symphony repository and the core extensions on GitHub. With these changes the Localisation Manager will be completely obsolete expect for exporting language files.

Please also have a look at the updated repository Language: German for language distribution.

Localisation Manager updated to version 1.2 on 6th of February 2010

Change Log

• Complete rewrite of the string matching function
  • Removed all features for backend localisation which are now part of the core
  • Introduced a new interface which allows separate export of language files for the core and each extension available

Please note that this new version of the Localisation Manager will only work in connection with Symphony 2.0.7RC2.