Search

Author Section updated to version 0.7 on 24th of October 2010

• Implemented functionality to show or hide the ‘Create New’-button on author-level.
  • Implemented functionality to enable or disable the ‘delete’-option in the actions-menu on author-level.

Screenshot:

Author Section 0.7

This looks great! Nice work.

Brilliant update!

Brilliant! Does it only hide the buttons or does it also prevent trying to do so by hand?

@phoque:

as in the previous versions: it’s purely cosmetic. So if the author would guess the correct URL he or she would still be able to create new entries, but in my opinion: I don’t see my clients guessing URLs.

Author Section updated to version 0.71 on 25th of October 2010

• Fixed a small bug where the buttons of the publish shortcuts extensions where also hidden.

Author Section updated to version 0.72 on 25th of October 2010

• Fixed a small bug where the ‘delete’-button was still visible on the edit-screen.

(Sorry guys, you just start finding bugs right after it’s released)

Author Section updated to version 0.8 on 4th of November 2010

• Implemented an ‘expression’-field to be able to show or hide certain entries for each section. This answers to morganfaichney’s request to only show certain entries on author-level.

screenshot

Excellent!

Hello

i didn’t understand why i can’t denied access to section from authors, becouse everytime i save author setting, check box (visible) will be signed.

Giel, the Symphony Team and the Working Groups are currently working on Symphony 2.2. Do you need anything like new delegates to make this extension more bullet-proof?

@Nils:

It would be nice to have a delegate to add some custom fields to the author-screen, just like you now have a delegate to add custom fields to the preferences screen. I currently use some custom code to add a fieldset to the authors screen and adjust the position of the ‘save’-button.

Also it would be nice to have delegates to adjust the header (with the ‘create new’-button) and the options (with the ‘delete’-button and ‘With selected…’-dropdown) on the publish-pages. I use some heavy iteration at the moment to manipulate these items.

I think some delegates to filter backend results based on author-id would be nice, then the extension could trancend being “purely-cosmetic”.

I think I’ve found a bug which occurs when you’re trying to export an ensemble of a website which has the Author section extension installed and enabled:

bug

edited: false alarm!

I think I’ve found a bug

It has to do with the way export ensemble was designed. More details in the the other thread.

Author Section updated to version 0.8.1 on 18th of November 2010

• fixed a bug with the ‘visible’-attribute

Don’t forget to re-enable the extension, since the database-structure is changed. The update()-function will take care of that, but you have to re-enable the extension.

@kanduvisla, thanks for this extension!

I agree with Zimmen that it would be very nice to see actual limits on page access rather than just the cosmetic solution. But, as you say, it’s not likely that most users will try to guess page URLs. And there is a certain amount of trust that you’re granting when you provide admin access.

That said, it would be great to integrate this extension with the default roles provided by the Symphony core so that global access limits could be granted to each author role: Primary, Developer and Author. So, if you have 40 authors, it would be great to be able to apply the same set of permissions to a group of users. Or perhaps there can be a set of default permissions that can be created and applied to a group of authors or applied when creating new authors.

@kanduvisla: Will you make this extension compatible with Symphony 2.2? Especially the CSS is broken, and it looks as if some content selectors are not working anymore (hiding “create new” doesn’t work, for example).

@michael-e:

be patient… Perhaps I have something ‘special’ to be anounced as soon as S2.2 is out… ;-)

@kanduvisla: Do you know if with S2.2 you will have the ability to make this extension a bit more ferocious? EG, that it can deny users the right to delete, rather than just hide the elements? Even if not, it is still a very nice extension. =)