Search

Just as a short note: Gity, a Git GUI for Mac that I found quite helpful in connection with extension development, has just been open sourced:

PS: Updated thread name to reflect the discussion.

I quite liked Gity early on, but it stalled hard (as the developer says in his blog post). If you are looking for a fuller featured Git client, have a look at the development builds of GitX from brotherbard’s fork:

http://github.com/brotherbard/gitx/

It’s got a couple of rough edges, but I use it for just about everything now (especially staging individual lines within changes).

I’ve used GitX before - what I really like about Gity is that there is no need to use the Terminal especially when dealing with different branches and origins.

Check out that fork of GitX, Nils - the only time I’ve needed to drop back to the terminal with that build is when I have a merge conflict. Pushing/pulling, creating new branches and tags, merging, cherry-picking - it’s all there. It’s not a light-weight like the original GitX builds.

I’m crap on the command-line — I find it a massive headache. So I’ve been using Gity because I like buttons and menus to click rather than typing meaningless garbage into Terminal :-)

I’ve found that Gity crashes a lot. But if it makes a stable release, then it’ll probably be what convinces me to stop using SVN/Cornerstone and jump to Git completely.

Trying out the forked GitX but looks like I still need to use the command line to perform the initial pulling of the repo from Github?

@nickdunn: It seem like you could just click File > Clone.

@tonyarnold: The mentioned fork looks interesting - but I have to say that I much more like Gity’s overall style.

It seem like you could just click File > Clone.

I don’t see that in Gitx.

Aha! Nope. This is much better ;-)

Seems like that GitX fork works quite similar to Gity - it’s not looking good though (and I like to work with good looking stuff).

Tony, do you know how this fork is still related to the progress of the main repository and if there are plans to update the UI?

Nils, I’m not sure - it looks like there are a few people working against brotherbard’s fork - Pieter’s original seems kinda dead these days. I’ve tried to convince a few Mac icon designer friends to step in on GitX’s behalf, but nobody is taking the bait yet :)

I do agree about the UI - Gity is much more attractive, but it’s staging view is weak next to that GitX fork. Being able to stage individual lines of my changes is something I can’t live without now.

Just discovered Gitbox too.

For those on Linux, gitg is pretty great.

It’s seriously a hard choice for mac users. Git has a great staging view as tonyarnold already said on the other hand Gity is so much cleaner.

I hope Versions or Cornerstone integrate git someday. That would be great, until then I’ll randomly switch between gitx and gity from day to day…

And Gitbox is also not what I’m looking for.

The word on the street is the next major release of Coda will support Git the way it supports Subversion.

One can only hope…

And Gitbox is also not what I’m looking for.

To me it looks like merged both Gitx ad Gity into something more user friendly.

Here’s an interesting multi-platform Git tool, SmartGit. I just downloaded it, but haven’t used it yet, but it looks pretty nice and in-depth.

Brian: Great find, checking it out right now!

It’s a bit annoying though that it assumes a slightly different workflow to what I’m used to now and isn’t compatible to my SSH keys. Oh well, a bit of going back to the terminal every now and then certainly won’t hurt. :-)

SmartGit looks great, minus the extremely excessive price tag.